Investing in a memorable domain name and eye-catching web design is what most identify as the primary ingredients of creating a successful website. Few realize the importance of reliable and secure web hosting service.
What is secure web hosting?
Web hosting is a service that allows companies and individuals to make their website accessible to the web. Web hosting is what makes a site live and available to your visitors and potential customers.
A website that lacks web hosting is like a department store without doors. You may have the best products available on the planet to offer your shoppers, but if no one can enter your store, no one will ever know what you offer. The same thing goes with web hosting. Without web hosting, no one will be able to access your website.
With more and more consumers turning to shopping online, there are billions of dollars ‘floating’ around at risk. With cybercrime on the rise, there are many ways this money could fall into the wrong hands. For this reason, it is vital for all ecommerce businesses to have a secure web host. When consumers feel your website is safe and secure and there is no risk to their personal information, they will do more business with you.
However, secure hosting is not only important to ecommerce sites, but search engines are also now starting to penalize websites that do not offer safe browsing. Secure hosting is essential because today the internet is being used more on mobile phones than on computers. Having non-secure websites makes these devices vulnerable to hacking and identity theft. Since even non-ecommerce sites and blogs now need to offer secure browsing, the need for a safe host applies to anyone that needs an online presence.
Website security issues
to watch out for
Website security should be the top priority for your website. However, not all business owners know what to look for or what they need regarding website security. First, ensure you have chosen a reliable, secure web host service. A good web hosting company will provide secure servers and a wide range of security options for you to consider. Flying Cow Design’s web hosting services ensure your website has the essential tools to provide consistent security at multiple levels.
The following are a few essentials of web host services:
- SFTP – When uploading files to your account, using the File Transfer Protocol (FTP) is most common, however, it is not secure and could leave your data open for unintended eyes. Secure File Transfer Protocol (SFTP) provides secure transfers for your files.
- SSL – Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) certificate is shown by the locked padlocked in the address bar. An SSL certificate will ensure encrypted files between the web browser and web server. By using SSL certificates, you can give your customers peace of mind when using their credit cards, personal or banking information. There are different kinds of SSL certificates and we can find the best option for your business needs.
- Backups – No one can predict when a server shuts down or crashes. For this reason, it is necessary to back up data on a regular basis. We ensure consistently performed backups and that you will have access to this information at any time through your control panel.
- Server maintenance – Our web host servers are consistently maintained to protect our clients from nearly all attacks. We have a security protocol in place for upgrades, patches, and potential hacks.
Who can take advantage
of your website?
An identity thief leaves your customers at a disadvantage because of the time it takes to clear up and recover lost funds and identity. As a business, you can suffer if your customers become victims of identity thieves. Without secure SSL certificate added to your website, identity thieves can go unnoticed for a long time.
While hackers still cause damage, they usually are not out to steal your customers information and money. However, when they hack into your site, disabling it, leaves your business vulnerable. They are proving they can get into your system and prevent it from working correctly, in turn causing the business to lose a significant amount of revenue.
Finding a Good Web
There are several web hosting providers on the Internet that rent or lease server space to individuals and companies. People usually tend to select the cheapest hosting plan just to get their website online. Few choose web hosting based on features, security and business need. Many fail to realize that your hosting plan can potentially have a positive or negative effect on your business.
For instance, if you choose a web hosting company that is unreliable with low-performance web servers, it will ultimately affect your sales and revenue. To avoid potential problems with your web hosting, choose a reliable hosting company that offers a variety of features and lets you customize a solution that best fits your needs. This will ensure your website runs smoothly with minimal interruption.
Web Hosting Plans
Typical web hosting plan features may include a specific GB of server disk space, choice of bandwidth, personalized email accounts and MySQL databases. Broadly, the type of web hosting plans can be differentiated by:
- Operating system: Linux and Windows are the most popular, with Linux offering more security features.
- Amount of space: Shared web hosting is where you share server space with other websites, Virtual Private Servers (VPS) is where websites share the same server, but it is set up like separate servers for each site. A dedicated host is when you have a dedicated server for only your website.
- What is hosted: When we say hosting, domain registrars and website hosts come to mind. However, there is more to hosting than just business websites. Blog and email hosting are among them. It is important to note that your email host should be able to integrate seamlessly with your email service provider to make sure that your email account works smoothly.
- Security options: Some web hosting service providers also offer SSL certificates and website security. There are different kinds of security levels and various types of SSL certificates that are offered by different hosting companies. The most important aspect of the protection provided is whether it includes end-to-end encryption and the level of encryption provided.
The benefit of choosing a hosting company that offers several features is that it automatically enhances your website
A Few Things to
Regardless of what type of business you have, there are a few essential things you will need to know before choosing a web hosting company.
- The first thing you will need to do is conduct thorough research online to find out the most reliable hosting companies available. Carefully analyze and compare the type of hosting features each hosting company provides. Choose at least three to four companies for your comparison.
- Never choose a company just because they offer the cheapest deal. Although there are several affordable web hosting deals available, make sure you weigh all the options before making a final decision. A hosting provider that offers cheap monthly rates may not provide all the features you need to have a fully functional website.
- Make sure you choose a web host company that offers 24/7 customer support. No matter how much we try to avoid it, there will come a time when your website may have a technical issue.
- If the company you select does not offer a customer support line, avoid them like the plague. If your hosting server is down due to technical issues, there will be no way for you to contact the hosting provider. When you have access to technical support, you can immediately address the issue and find out the status of your website.
- No matter how tempting it may be, avoid using free website builder templates offered by many web hosting providers. If you are serious about building a professional online presence, you are better off hiring a professional web developer to create a custom designed website. Most instant website builder templates tend to have an amateurish look to it. Savvy web users can spot a poorly designed website from a mile away.
Flying Cow Design offers a variety of web design packages plus web hosting. Having a company with multiple services to offer provides your businesses an all-in-one package. Choosing Flying Cow Design’s services ensures your website is covered from the first step to last and everything in between.